- reset +

Members Login


Home Steps to Employment Documents for Employment

Documents Needed for Employment


Before you are able to apply for a job or job training program, there a number of documents or identifications that you will need in order to apply and be hired. 


Below is information on how to obtain documents that are generally required in order to obtain employment, however, some programs may require additional information such as valid Permanent Resident/Alien Registration Card (if applicable), proof of family income, residence, grades, etc.


To get a job or to participate in a job training program, all youth must have: 

Social Security Card (signed original, not a copy)

Birth Certificate (proof of age is required if photo ID does not include date of birth)

Picture ID (CA Driver’s License or ID, Current School ID, Passport)

Work Permit (if under 18 years old)

Selective Service Registration  


How to Obtain a Social Security Card

To obtain a Social Security card, follow the directions below, or visit www.socialsecurity.gov for more information.

Complete an application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5) and show the Social Security office the following original documents or copies certified by the issuing agency verifying:

·          U.S. citizenship or immigrant status (including Department of Homeland Security permission to work in the United States)

·          Age (birth certificate or other required documentation)

·          Identity (driver’s license, state-issued identification card, or U.S. Passport)

Take your completed application and original documents to the Social Security Administration Office.

1098 Valencia Street
San Francisco, CA  94110

Accessible via Muni lines #14, #49 or #26 


Monday - Friday: 9:00am - 4:30 pm 

[Back to Top


How to Obtain a Birth Certificate

If you cannot find your original birth certificate, the steps you will need to take in order to obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate will vary depending on the state you were born in. If you were born outside of California, you will need to visit your state’s official website to find information on requesting a copy.

If you were born in California, visit the California Department of Public Health for more information.

It is often quicker to obtain a copy from the county in which you were born. If you were born in San Francisco, visit the San Francisco Department of Public Health Office of Vital Records for more information.

[Back to Top


How to Obtain a California ID

To obtain a California ID you must visit any Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office. 

377 Fell Street 
San Francisco, CA  94102 

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday: 8:00am – 5:00pm
Wednesday: 9:00am – 5:00 pm 

DMV offices are closed 3 Fridays of every month due to furloughs. Call 1-800-777-0133 or go online to make an appointment at www.dmv.ca.gov

[Back to Top


How to Obtain a Work Permit

All youth under age 18 must have a work permit in order to be employed, unless the minor has graduated from high school or has passed the California High School Proficiency Examination. Work permits must be renewed at the start of each school year and at the start of the summer.


 1. Obtain a Work Permit Application

You can get a work permit application several way.

·          Check with your school counselor

·          Call the work permit office (415) 695-5504 to have an application sent directly to you or your school

·          Pick up a "Request for Work Permit" form at School of the Arts

555 Portola Dr. - Room 380,
San Francisco, CA 94131
(415) 695-5504

Monday - Friday: 8:00am – 4:30pm 

2. Complete the Work Permit Application

Once you receive your application, make sure to complete all sections. Your prospective employer and your parents will have to complete a section. 

3. Collect the following documents

·          Social Security card (original or copy)

·          Verification of birthday (birth certificate, medical card, driver’s license)

·          Verification of current school enrollment (school identification, current report card, statement from counselor)

·          Picture ID (copy)

4. Submit work permit application and documents in person to

Pupil Services—Work Permits & Subpoenas

School of the Arts
555 Portola Dr. - Room 380,
San Francisco, CA 94131

(415) 695-5504

Monday - Friday 8:00am–4:30pm 

[Back to Top


How to Register for Selective Service

For some job training programs funded with state or federal funds, males over the age 18 will have to register with Selective Service. 

[Back to Top